Monday, January 19, 2009

Market Report from Saturday 1/17

I got lazy on Sunday and didn't get to update the blog with pictures and notes from the market. Basically, I will try to provide a summary of what I see in the market and what is truly seasonal. I'll try to provide an idea of what's good out there that week and what might be new and unique. There doesn't seem to have been a dramatic change in the produce in the last month, but since this is my inaugural report, I will offer you a slightly more encompassing update.

Citrus has been emerging from a month ago and many varietals are starting to show up at the market. You can find a good mix of oranges, grapefruit, pomelo and lemons all over the market now. Pears and apples can still be found, but apples are beginning to slowly dwindle as the weeks past. There are a lot of nice greens showing up including nettles, mustard greens, kale, escarole, broccoli raab and a bunch of beautiful Asian greens. Marin Farms had a very nice layout of choices as well as a very colorful winter salad mix. Root vegetables, brussels (beautiful little ones from Iacopi), cauliflower and romanesco heads can still be easily seen around different stands. A few weeks ago there were a few signs of early onions, but this week there was definitely more. I found 4-5 farms carrying them and happened to come across some very young Torpedo and Cipollini onions. I definitely bought some and I'm planning on cooking it into my homemade vadouvan. More on that later, but for now, here are some pics of the scene this Saturday morning:















No comments:

Post a Comment