Monday, July 20, 2009

Wednesday Test Kitchen... overdue

I know my test kitchen stuff has kind of been overdue, but that's likely more because I haven't had much of a chance to properly grab the pics from my camera and upload them. Well, hopefully we'll have a few backlogs of Test Kitchen blogs this week.

The first of the WTK blogs actually comes from a dinner that I made for a couple of good friends the other night. It made a lot of sense because I was really just trying to plan a nice, somewhat light summer menu. Nothing but nice and simple seasonal cooking with circulators, some chemicals and multiple blending devices. Ah, yes.

Onto the menu:

First: Heirloom Tomato Salad
-shaved Andante Minuet, basil balsamic gastrique, Point Reyes blue cheese foam, olive oil

Second: Smoked Corn Soup
-mesquite wood smoked white corn

Third: Duo of 24 Hour Short Rib
-Guiness beef stock reduction, house made vadouvan, slow roasted sweet onions

Four: Lychees and Tart Cherry Jam in Chilled Ambrosia Melon Soup

For the salad, I actually had intentions of using cream, the cheese and some gum to create small round puffs between each layer of tomato - which meant that I'd stack it. I didn't end up doing that because apparently one of my diners couldn't really handle the cream. The pics for the other plates are midway into eating, so I'm sorry if they don't look perfectly plated. I was busy eating and forgot to take pics until too late.

I didn't know whether I should have gone with my blueberry bourbon jam for the chilled melon soup instead, but the cherry turned out great, so I guess I won't second guess my decision. While both guests enjoyed the dessert, one of them thought the blueberry bourbon might even have been better. But, it might just be the fact that he loved the blueberry bourbon jam all on its own. Hmmm....


Onto the pics:


Smoked Corn

Heirloom Salad

Smoked Corn Puree with drops of olive oil

24 Hour Short Rib Duet - Guiness Beef and Vadouvan
(the plating was nice prior to being messed up by a hungry me)

Chilled Ambrosia Melon Soup

1 comment:

  1. I thought Vadouvan is usually used in gourmet cooking. The spice is thought to have originated due to French colonial influence in the Pondicherry region of India

    ReplyDelete