Friday, November 6, 2009

Wednesday Test Kitchen – Long Overdue

Sorry, this took awhile, but I’ve got a logjam of stuff I guess to post, so this will be first of the stuff.

So a few weeks ago, some friends and I went fishing and we caught a pretty well sized Striper in the Suisun Bay.  Here’s a look at the sucker with my buddy Ben:

IMG_2935

I think the fish measured out to around 31 inches and it was probably close to 10-12 lbs.  During out boat ride (sucks I don’t have pictures of this), I performed ike jime on the mofo while it was still pumping its dear heart out.  Here are some pics of the cuts that we had for sashimi, and ceviche.  To say that they were impeccably bloodless, translucent white, and clean tasting is an understatement.  We grilled the other half to perfection.

 IMG_2942IMG_2939

IMG_2938

I didn’t bother with taking pics of our food, but here is what we had:

Striper Sashimi, Striper Ceviche with Granny Smith Apples and Grilled Striper.

With the bones, collar and the head, I roasted them and made a fumet.  Well, I ended up eating most of the collar, so we’ll scratch that out.

With the fumet, I add Japanese yam for some sweetness, but mainly to build a broth that has a tinge of that earthy sweetness.  The yams (still whole after cooked in the stock) are mashed and mixed with a small amount of milk.  The end result is:

Striper Fumet Ube Soup (kinda fun to say)

Pics:

IMG_2943 IMG_2945 IMG_2952 IMG_2980 IMG_2985

 

A couple of other Test Kitchen dishes:

Pork Chops with Bacon White Bean Puree and Ong Greens & Enoki Mushroom “Noodles”

Sauteed Chicken Hearts with Maitake Mushrooms and Andouille Sausage

 IMG_2908 IMG_2911 IMG_2913  IMG_2915

 IMG_2916

 

IMG_2949  IMG_2953   IMG_2958 IMG_2961 

IMG_2962

No comments:

Post a Comment