Thursday, February 18, 2010

Inspiration Meets Opportunity

[IMG_4062[2].jpg]

So I’ve been working on a new project for a few months now and there are complications obviously – as all new projects have, but it’s also been time consuming in many instances.  Without a traditional nighttime kitchen job, things have been quieter in the evenings and sometimes I catch myself still with the feeling of excessive downtime (not really true, I’m just overactive/workaholic most of the time).  Basically, it means I don’t know how to relax. 

As I was walking out from my office at the end of last week, my coworkers started to mumble about the raise in cafeteria prices.  With a sensitive and recent across-the-board salary reduction, people were a lot less receptive to paying $1 more on average for a mediocre semi-prepackaged processed hospital lunch.  With a drink and two baby overcooked sides, the cafeteria meal can average as much as $8.00.  With one whimsical comment, a new idea and opportunity was born. 

“For $5, I can make a lunch 10 times better.”

As it happened, I reasoned and played the idea out in my head during my drive home.  Over the weekend, I calculated the logistics, feasibility and budget.  By the end of the weekend, I had a menu, budget, and my own itty bitty newborn lunchtime delivery service.  Of course, I am only currently servicing one place once a week, but it’s a nice fun start and my own fill-in-some-free-time creative outlet.  Of course, I made absolutely $0.00 this week (in the hole, when you consider labor), but I got a chance to provide something different and fresh (literally) to my office so that brightened my day. 

At some point, I got tired of paying for the Sysco junk.  I don’t know why I waited this long, I guess you just have to put up or shut up.  Next week is looking like a nice boost from this week so that will start to make things more interesting.  Wonder how long I can go before the cafeteria finds out… wonder how long before I’m tempted to try to deliver to elsewhere…

For those interested in what I feature week to week for fun, you can find my weekly menu with a picture review at curiousworkshop.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

  1. If you'll deliver to my work in the inner sunset, you can go ahead and put me down for lunch everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'm in the same building as Jesse, so make it 2!

    ReplyDelete